|By Eng. Joseph Njoroge PS, Ministry of Energy
· As part of CSR Corporates were challenged to go to girls schools and encourage by
- Providing opportunities for attachment
- Opening up Space for employment
- Participate in school and colleges engagements and hold forums at girls schools to inspire
· Constitutional requirement by law;
- Involve women in decision making at all levels in business
- Although the number of women is high at other departmental level. In engineering division
women the percentage of women is very low
AGPO opportunities; Why it is key
Money made by the women doing business goes back to uplift standards at homes
- Encourage women to participate and register businesses.
- Companies registered under AGPO should get exemption from any pre-qualifications.
- Therefore AGPO holders must be encouraged to do business in the energy sector
Payment of debts
- Government has prioritized the payment of debts to AGPO companies. Companies have been urged to take advantage of this opportunity
Local Content Buy Kenya, Build Kenya – 40% local content
- The women were encouraged to pursue this area in the sector.
- The 30% in the 40% local content must be adhered and implemented
- It was noted that it is expensive to train an engineer hence they must be motivated and given
- CSR programs should start right in primary schools and ensure the pipeline of girls to sciences is
not lost on the way.
- All AGPO companies must be given priority and access to opportunities to bid.
- AGPO companies should not be pre-qualified again after certification by Treasury.
- The ministry target is 40% not 30% as per Government regulation; the threshold that business
must go to AGPO companies.
- Affirmative action in recruitment and placing of female engineers in the sector is a priority.
- Companies to champion school programs